Events for Heal the Bay
CANCELLED Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanup
August 15 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
This Nothin’ But Sand Cleanup Is Cancelled. But, You Can Still Volunteer!
We believe it is healthy to be outside volunteering, just not together in large groups at this time. In order to limit the spread of COVID-19 Heal the Bay is taking measures by postponing all public programing at this time. In order to accommodate social distancing we are decentralizing our Nothin’ But Sand beach cleanup. Please find a cleanup site that is accessible for you and those in your household within walking distance from where you live and adhere to County guidelines and respect beach, park, and trail closures. Families and individuals please follow these instructions-
- Watch this cleanup safety video or read our safety talk.
- Grab an old bucket and some gardening gloves.
- Track the trash you collect with either the Marine Debris Tracker App or our Data Card (download, print and bring the Data Card with you to your cleanup).
- Email Emely Garcia, Beach Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with a picture of the Data Card filled out. Don’t forget to post your personal cleanup pics using hashtag #healthebay. *See below for instructions to get your community service/volunteer hours.
- We do Nothin’ But Sand beach cleanups every month, so don’t worry about skipping this one. Sign up for future dates.
To accommodate physical distancing, wear a mask, and limit your cleanup group participants to only the people in your household to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. If you see other people while you are outside, make sure to stay at least 6 feet away. If you or someone in your home feels sick, please stay home.
Please protect yourself and stay informed with the following resources:
- Los Angeles County Department of Public Health: http://www.ph.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
- Los Angeles County Beaches, Tail, Park closures: https://lacounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=b0c43c3177714b5aab1dd8bfdaa1caaf
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
*To qualify for community service hours, please share a photo of yourself or your group before/after your cleanup on social media using the hashtag #healthebay -AND- email the social media post link to Emely at email@example.com with the location name (beach name and city/state) and the date and time. We will then send you a community service form to complete. If you do not follow these steps exactly you will not qualify for community service hours
Looking for more ways to get involved?
Heal the Bay’s Calendar features Aquarium, Beach, Outreach, Community Science and Youth events in Los Angeles County.
Want to quickly register for an event you see listed on our calendar? Hop over to Eventbrite and complete your registration. Please note, only events that require registration are listed on Eventbrite.
Wanna roll up your sleeves and become a Heal the Bay Volunteer? We have five distinct volunteer programs that we offer. Each program has a specific training associated with it as well as its own volunteer roles.
Aquarium – Aquarium volunteers work at Heal the Bay Aquarium under the Santa Monica Pier. They support various public programs from interpreting at touch tanks to ensuring the success of private events. They also attend outreach events and represent Heal the Bay all over Los Angeles.
Beach – Beach cleanup volunteers support our Adopt-A-Beach and Coastal Cleanup Day programs. Our Beach Captain volunteers support Nothin’ But Sand public beach cleanups and Suits on the Sand private cleanups, and have the opportunity to attend Coastal Cleanup Day Site Captain training.
Outreach – These volunteers take Heal the Bay knowledge all over Los Angeles. Speakers Bureau volunteers present both virtually and in-person in classrooms, business meetings, at beach cleanups, festivals, and more.
Community Science – MPA Watch Volunteers survey marine protected areas (MPAs) in Malibu and Palos Verdes. They monitor, collect data, and get to walk along some of California’s most stunning beaches.
Youth – Middle and high school students register their school club with Club Heal the Bay to be part of a larger environmental advocacy community. In return, clubs receive recognition and rewards for their civic action projects. To get started as a Heal the Bay volunteer, attend a Volunteer Orientation.
Looking for more information on Corporate and Foundation Giving? Amazing. We rely on support from grants, sponsorships and partnerships to pursue our mission. Learn more about ways to give.