2019 Calendar Coming Soon!
- This event has passed.
S.T.E.A.M. Machines & Rube Goldberg Contest
March 4 @ 11:30 am - 5:00 pm
STEAM Machines, a day-long innovation festival, is back for the 5th consecutive year at the Santa Monica Pier to shine a bright spotlight on the STEAM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics). The annual celebration of all things STEAM is designed to inspire the next generation of innovators and science leaders. Our Santa Monica Pier Aquarium curates this event in collaboration with the Santa Monica Pier Corporation.
The L.A. Regional Rube Goldberg Machine Contest is the centerpiece of a day that includes interactive booths showcasing everything from visual reality technology, robotics, turn-trash-into-art stations, and delicious ice cream – custom made with liquid nitrogen!
Teams of students from high schools and middle schools will compete to showcase the best Rube Goldberg Machine that can pour a bowl of cereal in 20 steps or more. The winners in both age groups will move on to the contest’s National Finals.
And the creative fun is not limited to the expo on the Pier deck; below at beach level our Aquarium gives visitors the opportunity to tinker with robotics and circuitry, and experience cutting edge technology applied to under-the-sea exploration.
Admission: STEAM events on the Pier deck: FREE ; Aquarium admission: Free for children 12 and under; all others: $5 per person
Schedule of STEAM:
- 11:30 am – 2:00 pm: Rube Goldberg Machine Contest, Santa Monica Pier East Deck
- 11:30 am – 4:30 pm: STEAM Machines Expo, Pier East Deck
- 11:30 am – 5:00 pm: Santa Monica Pier Aquarium open to the public, 1600 Ocean Front Walk
- 2:00 – 3:30 pm: Path to Innovation, panel of innovators from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab, VR creators, Robotics champs, and others share their career paths, Main Stage, Pier East Deck
- 3:30 pm: Shark feeding and live presentation at the Aquarium
Heal the Bay’s Event Calendar of Aquarium, Beach, Outreach, Community Science and Youth programs and activities in Los Angeles County.