The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium offers school groups, families and visitors a unique view into the ocean world right outside our doors. It is home to more than one hundred organisms native to the Santa Monica Bay. Interactive displays, touch tanks filled with tide pool animals, a shark tank exhibit, and a microscope lab are some of the main features of the Aquarium. As Heal the Bay’s marine education facility, the Aquarium also strives to teach visitors about the importance of environmental stewardship and marine conservation.
Aquarist Department Interns will assist with exhibit maintenance, animal feeding and care, occasional collecting, and perform other duties related to the Aquarist Department.
The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium is looking for responsible, dedicated, assertive interns to work with our Senior Aquarist, other staff and volunteers. Interns are required to attend the six-evening volunteer/intern training course.
This internship is an excellent opportunity to learn more about marine science, marine life support systems, and aquatic animal care and to gain experience working for an environmental group.
- General care & maintenance of aquarium exhibits and life support systems
- Food preparation and feeding of organisms
- Water quality analysis
- Aid in the development of marine biology & environmental education signage
- Special project(s)
- Understanding of environmental, marine science, and education issues
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work with many people in diverse settings
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to operate hand and power tool
- Ability to commit to an internship for at least 6 months
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This is an unpaid internship that requires a time commitment of at least 8 hours per week for a period of at least 6 months. Ask your instructors about course credit!
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Apryl Boyle, Associate Aquarium Operations Director @ Heal the Bay