Coastal Cleanup Day Internship
Heal the Bay is looking for 3 to 5 well organized and very responsible individuals capable of learning in a fastpaced environment to help recruit and coordinate volunteers for the 33rd Annual California Coastal Cleanup Day, to be held on Saturday, September 16, 2017. Every year Heal the Bay organizes thousands of volunteers to come out and clean more than sixty beach and inland sites. The Coastal Cleanup Day Interns will be working closely with the Coastal Cleanup Day Coordinator and programs, communications and development departments to help coordinate a successful event.
This summer internship (minimum 10-12 hours/week) is an excellent opportunity to gain experience and exposure in the environmental field. It will begin on June 15, 2017 through September 22, 2017. Attendance at some weekend and evening events will be necessary. This is a non-paid internship.
- Work with the Coastal Cleanup Day Coordinator and other department staff to plan and promote Coastal Cleanup Day.
- May help to recruit schools, businesses and community groups to participate.
- May help to coordinate and train speakers, volunteers, and staff to assist on the day of the event.
- May assist in making presentations to community leaders and groups about Coastal Cleanup Day and ocean pollution.
- May help to manage the Coastal Cleanup Day volunteer and contact database.
- May help to create broachers, flyers, and other print materials in Publisher and Quark.
- May help to solicit support of bilingual print, radio and television coverage of the event for greater inland exposure.
- May help in handling logistical concerns by phone, in person, or email.
- Public speaking is required.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Well organized and careful attention to detail.
- Ability to lead and coordinate large groups of volunteers.
- Ability to work well both independently and as a team.
- Ability to network within community groups and with government offices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly in Excel, Word, and Publisher is a plus.
- California driver’s license required; a car for driving to speeches and meetings is a plus.
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish is preferred.
- Passion for the environment is a plus.