Community Outreach Intern
Heal the Bay’s Science, Policy, and Outreach Department is recruiting for a highly self-motivated Community Outreach Intern with an interest in ocean conservation, environmental justice, and research for the Fall Session (October through mid-December). The intern will report to our Outreach Manager, and work virtually for 8 hours each week with flexible scheduling. The intern is expected to start in early October.
This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will be useful in gaining community outreach, engagement, and public speaking experience, in addition to working for a reputable non-profit that has been established on the Westside for over 36 years. Heal the Bay’s community education program, Speakers Bureau, reaches nearly 40,000 people every year, educating the Los Angeles public about the causes and impacts of ocean pollution, and how to get involved to be part of the solution.
This is an unpaid internship. Please contact your college or university about qualifying for college credit or scholarship opportunities. Additionally note that this is intended to be a mostly virtual internship. Heal the Bay’s main offices are closed for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic and all office work is expected to be conducted online. Interns must have reliable access to a computer and internet to complete remote work.
- Assist in the development and implementation of targeted community outreach for Speakers Bureau. This will include conducting background research on target areas, finding contacts in these areas, and connecting with them.
- Review your outreach and engagement through the lens of inclusion to carry out your work in culturally relevant ways that advance equity.
- Act as point of contact between Heal the Bay and target schools, community organizations, etc. This will include phone and email correspondence.
- Assist in Speakers Bureau events and coordination.
- Attend virtual weekly Speakers Bureau and outreach team meetings.
- Maintain a professional and enthusiastic attitude when representing Heal the Bay in public settings, meeting, events, and trainings.
- Develop a relevant independent research project in area of your interest.
- Present the outcomes of your work to Heal the Bay staff at our quarterly intern symposium.
- Currently enrolled at or recently graduated from a college or university as an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated in a degree program of Environmental Studies, Marketing, Communications, Geography, Biology, Computer Science, Environmental Policy, or related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable speaking in public.
- Detail-oriented; ability to complete projects promptly and completely.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Preferred: an understanding of environmental justice issues, and willingness to learn more.
- Preferred: experience in conducting data collection, power mapping, and/or research and proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. GIS or Salesforce experience preferred.
- Preferred: local knowledge of Los Angeles.
Unpaid. School credit available at participating schools/colleges.
How To Apply
Applicants must send a resume and cover letter to Alex Preso, Outreach Manager, by September 15, 2021 for application to be considered. Interview invitations will be sent out September 17, and interviews will take place September 20-24.
Heal the Bay is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.