Community Science Internship
The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium offers school groups, families and visitors a unique view into the ocean world right outside our doors. It is home to more than one hundred organisms native to the Santa Monica Bay. Interactive displays, touch tanks filled with tide pool animals, a shark tank exhibit, and a microscope lab are some of the main features of the Aquarium. As Heal the Bay’s marine education facility, the Aquarium also strives to teach visitors about the importance of environmental stewardship and marine conservation.
The Community Science Intern will be part of the Public Programs Department and will assist with the development and operations of the Aquarium’s public visiting hours and programs. The Community Science Intern will primarily be responsible for running our weekly sand crab monitoring program. This program is scheduled for 3:00 P.M. every Wednesday. This includes setting up data collection, working with the public to sample at the beach, entering data, updating graphs, and communicating results. Interns can also pursue projects including: creating and conducting presentations for visitors, mentoring volunteers, developing activities and interactive displays, creating new arts and graphics, and other projects.
We are looking for responsible, dedicated, and outgoing interns to work with the public programs department. This internship is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in marine science, environmental education, community science, data collection, and working for an environmental non-profit group.
- Leading Community Science program every Wednesday
- Overseeing data collection with public guests
- Entering data into Excel and finding additional data from online references
- Interacting with and educating aquarium and public visitors
- Learning to develop and mentor volunteers
- College age or above preferred
- Friendly and professional manner for working with the public
- Passion for education, science, and/or communications
- Experience working in outdoor education is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organized with a high attention to detail
- Advanced math and computer skills – including MS Word, and Excel
- Data analysis skills and experience is a plus
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Enthusiasm for teaching public visitors including children about marine life and conservation
This is an unpaid internship that requires a time commitment of at least 8 hours per week for a period of 3 months or more (continuing to intern or volunteer after internship is encouraged). Interns must be available to work Wednesday afternoons and either Friday or Saturday afternoons.
Please mail/e-mail/fax resume and cover letter and internship application to:
Grace Young – Outreach Coordinator Phone: (310) 393-6149 x107
Santa Monica Pier Aquarium Fax: (310) 393-4839
1600 Ocean Front Walk Email: email@example.com
Santa Monica, CA 90401 www.healthebay.org/internships