Aquarium Education Internship
Education Department Interns will have exposure to the process of organizing, planning, and teaching the Aquarium education programs. They will assist staff with classroom and beach activities and instruction. In so doing, they will be helping children from all over the greater Los Angeles area to gain a greater awareness of the importance of keeping the ocean clean, safe, and healthy for animals and people.
The Santa Monica Pier Aquarium is looking for motivated, dedicated, and responsible interns who wish to acquire the skills to effectively communicate with an audience of diverse ages and backgrounds. If you love to spend time on the beach, work with animals, and interact with children, this is the internship for you! Interns are needed to assist in the multifaceted processes of organizing and facilitating our education school field trip programs
Education internships require availability during our program times of 8:45am-2:30pm Monday through Friday. Internships run for a minimum of 10 weeks @ a minimum of 6hrs per week.
This internship is an excellent opportunity to learn more about marine science & environmental education and to gain experience working for an environmental group.
- Assist the Education Specialists and other staff members with daily operations of the school programs
- Help organize materials for the school programs
- Help with the supervision of students in the classroom and on the beach
- Research curriculum activities, and aid in the development of marine biology & environmental education curriculum
- Lead field trip program lessons
- Special project(s)
- College age or above
- Experience working with children
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good computer skills – including MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to commit to an internship for at least 10 weeks @ min of 6hrs a week
- Education and/or Marine Biology background preferred
- Ability to pass a criminal background check