Programs Department Internship
Heal the Bay is looking for an organized and responsible person (bilingual preferred) capable of working in a fast-paced environment to support the Programs Department. Interns will be working closely with the Programs Department staff to coordinate successful events, educate the public about marine conservation and water quality issues, and provide support in the office.
This part-time, non-commissioned (unpaid, but ask your school about giving you credit for this!) intern position (minimum of 9 hr/week; but very flexible) is an excellent opportunity to gain experience in the environmental field. This internship would begin as soon as possible and would last for a minimum amount of 2 months time. Attendance at some weekend and evening events might be necessary.
This is an excellent leadership opportunity that will be useful for gaining community outreach experience, resume building, and obtaining references.
- Work with the Programs Department staff to plan, promote, and work at/attend a variety of special events that go on throughout the year. i.e. beach and/or creek cleanups, trainings, “tablings”, dinners, Coastal Cleanup Day, and more. • Recruit schools, businesses, and community groups to participate in Heal the Bay events.
- Assist in coordinating and training speakers, volunteers, and staff on the day of events.
- Make presentations to community and help educate the public about ocean pollution and the Heal the Bay mission. • Manage a variety of databases that grow continuously and exponentially at Heal the Bay.
- Very well organized and careful attention to detail.
- Must be available to work partial days on occasional weekends (Saturdays especially).
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Ability to lead and coordinate large groups of volunteers.
- Ability to work well both independently and as a team.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- California driver’s license required; a car for driving to meetings is a plus.
- Spanish speaker preferred.
- Passion for environmental justice issues is a plus.
- All Applicants must be at least 17 years of age; students of college level studies are preferred.
Ask your instructor about college credit! We will fill out whatever form your school provides us with to document your participation in this internship.