MPA Watch Internship
Heal the Bay’s Programs Department is looking for an organized and highly self- motivated individual to work closely with the Internship Manager on our MPA Watch program. Candidates would ideally be interested in marine protected areas (MPAs), coastal conservation, fieldwork, have a science background, and be willing to commit to at least 20 hours/week for the summer, and 10 hours/week during the school year. Responsibilities would include but not limited to: performing beach surveys for our MPA Watch program, organizing MPA Watch program data, and assisting with development of program materials.
Heal the Bay’s community science program, MPA Watch, involves conducting beach surveys of ocean uses. This program is a great way to combine your love of the beach and ocean while collecting valuable scientific data. Interns and volunteers are trained to observe and collect unbiased data on coastal and marine resource use, which will provide important information to understand how people are using the newly established marine protected areas (MPAs), and to help inform MPA management.
This internship is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable science and work experience in the non-profit environmental field.
- Collection and organization of MPA Watch field data
- Organizing and managing informational databases
- Assisting with Development of program materials
- Undergraduate or graduate student, with major in Environmental Studies, Marine Science, Geography, Biology or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional and enthusiastic
- Be able to spend 4-5 hours daily outdoors with some moderate hiking in occasional adverse weather conditions (wind, rain, heat, cold)
- Detail-oriented; ability to complete projects promptly and completely
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Ability to commit to an internship for at least 10 weeks
- Access to reliable transportation to get to field sites in Malibu and Palos Verdes
- Passion for the ocean
This is an unpaid internship that requires a time commitment of at least 10-20 daytime hours a week, flexible scheduling. Ask your instructors about course credit!
Please submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Jenna Segal, Public Programs Manager @ Heal the Bay