Digital Advocacy Internship (Unpaid)
Love turtles as much as what’s trending? Come contribute to one of L.A.’s most successful environmental nonprofits and learn meaningful skills and best practices.
Heal the Bay’s Marketing Communications Department is offering a Digital Advocacy Internship applications will be reviewed in June 2019 for summer and fall openings.
From being a primary caregiver for our charming and demanding social media accounts to helping us broaden our audience and increase giving via our websites and mobile apps, we are looking for a digitally-savvy person with a heart of kelp. If you want to build your digital and social media chops, while working with other passionate, funny, ocean-loving scientists and advocates, we encourage you to apply.
- Create content for our Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube, Pinterest and LinkedIn accounts
- Generate story ideas
- Update and develop new website and app content and coordinate the production of content with staff
- Review analytics and create reports
- Stay current with developments and changes in social media and digital
- Serve as backup to Communications Director and Communications Associate Director for social media monitoring and management
- Respond to feedback from fans, and interact positively with our community
- Occasional evening and weekend event attendance
- Social media management training
- Storytelling, copywriting and editing skill-building
- HTML and online analytics training
- Mentorship and career guidance
- Letter of recommendation
- School credit (if applicable)
- 18 Years or older
- Enrollment in an accredited degree program in a relevant major
- Proficiency in social media platforms
- Proficiency in WordPress
- Graphic design software or web-based applications
- Audio, video, image editing
- Excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal communication abilities
- Creative, self-directed, ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills
- Inquisitive, desire to learn new skills and diverse aspects of our organization’s work
- Most importantly you should be passionate about protecting the environment, particularly watersheds, beaches, and oceans
This is an unpaid internship that requires a time commitment of at least 8 hours per week per semester. Ask your instructors about course credit! This position can be remote; however some travel to events, to our Aquarium under the Santa Monica Pier and our office in Santa Monica is required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Talia Walsh, Communications Director.