Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds of Greater Los Angeles safe, healthy, and clean. To fulfill our mission, we use science, education, community action, and advocacy. Heal the Bay has an annual budget of over $4 million and more than 15,000 members. Progress toward our mission is achieved by effectively combining science, advocacy, community outreach, and education to create positive change in our environment.
The Advancement Director plans and implements all fundraising including major gifts, special events, grants, membership programs, corporate sponsorships, retail sales, and more. A major responsibility is cultivating existing and new foundation, corporate and individual donors. Additional responsibilities include staff management, financial planning, strategic planning, board relations, and relationship building across sectors. A successful candidate will have a proven ability to create and build on funding opportunities; be outgoing, articulate, and comfortable in diverse social situations; and have a passion for protecting the environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee and manage all aspects of fundraising, including major gifts, corporate and foundation gifts, fundraising events, planned giving, and other;
- Work closely with the CEO, Marketing team, and Advancement Team to coordinate effective stewardship and cultivation of current, former, and potential leads;
- Personally cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts from a portfolio of high-net-worth individuals, foundations, and corporations;
- Supervise development and execution of a major gift and foundation pipeline including: identifying existing and potential major donors and funders, creating individual stewardship and solicitation plans, prospecting for capital and restricted funding, and managing ongoing relationships;
- Work closely with Marketing team on advancement and membership targets, campaigns and materials;
- Supervise direct mail and membership programs to increase membership via traditional and digital campaigns;
- Supervise Grant Manager and create strategies to obtain grant funding from foundations, corporations and government agencies;
- Increase corporate sponsorships;
- Collaborate with and motivate 30 Board members in fundraising and donor cultivation efforts;
- Supervise communication with more than 15,000 members via thank you and recognition programs, personal responses, and one-on-one meetings;
- Create niche-marketing opportunities via third-party benefit events, retail sales, and other small business partnerships;
- Participate on Heal the Bay’s management team.
Skills, Experience and Education:
- 5+ years of direct fundraising leadership and solicitation experience.
- Demonstrated success cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding high-net-worth individuals, with a track record of securing 5+-figure gifts and moving donors up the giving pyramid.
- Digital fluency in Salesforce or similar donor relations management database.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to set and achieve goals, and a creative approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated tact and diplomacy in difficult or sensitive situations and ability to perform under pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including the poise, presence and judgment to work effectively with the Executive Leadership, Board of Directors, major donors, and prospects in an effective manner.
Salary Range: $90,000-$110,000 based on experience.
The position is full time and some evening and weekend work is required.
Heal the Bay offers an excellent benefit package.
How to apply: Please submit resume and cover letter to Meredith McCarthy.
Heal the Bay is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce.