Aquarium Public Programs Manager
Aquarium Public Programs Manager
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds of greater L.A. safe, healthy and clean. To fulfill our mission, we use science, education, community action and advocacy. We educate the greater Los Angeles region about the undersea wonders of our local Santa Monica Bay, the causes and impacts of local water pollution, the need for an improved resilient water supply, and what Angelenos can do to make a difference. We reach over 150,000 people every year through our Heal the Bay Aquarium, beach cleanups and community outreach programs.
California’s diversity is one of its greatest strengths. Heal the Bay is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment that respects all individuals regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, religion, or age. We are focused on recruiting and retaining a diverse team of employees, fostering a positive environment where inclusive behaviors are the norm, prioritizing our work through an equity and inclusivity lens, and embedding accountability for diversity throughout the organization. We are committed to creating an environment where all employees are included, are treated with dignity and respect, and are in a position to contribute to our success.
About the Role
Heal the Bay is looking for a full-time Public Programs Manager to support our community programs and guest relations.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Programs, the Public Programs Manager will fill the primary role of providing high quality customer service while creating public educational content and programming, as well as leading public program operations, special events, and birthday parties (both virtual and in-person). Leads a team of public programs associates, volunteers, and interns and prioritizes the organizations strategic initiatives through collaborative communication internally and externally.
Expectations & Responsibilities
· Manage public programs team including staff, interns, and volunteers (includes hiring, training and management)
· Assist in office management, including supply ordering and maintaining Green Business Certification best practices
· Develop skills and oversee special projects of staff, volunteers, and interns
· Oversee the daily operations of public programs including staffing the floor, coordinating volunteers, set up and breakdown of all public spaces, and money count
· Listen, understand, and address the needs of our visitors, employees, and volunteers while creating a welcoming environment that supports Heal the Bay’s mission of fostering inclusivity, dignity, and respect
· Assist with Aquarium Gift Shop retail operations through inventory management
· Create content and exhibits as needed, as well as managing and leading themed weekends, special events, birthday parties, and general public programs
· Work closely with team to direct and execute Marketing and Communications efforts, including content creation, graphics, and social media that elevate AQ programming
· Work closely with Heal the Bay Communications department to ensure marketing and communications efforts are integrated and optimized
· Coordinate with the management staff to ensure collaboration among departments
· Management experience and proven success working as part of diverse team
· Experience with, or interest in learning about, working with animals and educating about animals, including familiarity with Santa Monica Bay marine organisms and ecosystems
· Excellent communication, customer service, and public speaking skills
· Conversational level knowledge of at least two languages
· Knowledge of major social media platforms (ex. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), Canva and/or adobe creative suite
· Can work collaboratively and communicate well with a team
· Can also work independently with minimal supervision and take initiative
· Experience working with children
If you don’t meet all of the preferred skills above, you are still encouraged to apply and will be considered based on diverse and equivalent skills and experience.
This is a non-exempt full-time position $21.00 – $24.00 per hour with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld.
There are dental, medical, health insurance, and vacation benefits included as part of employment. In accordance with California Labor Law, employee will be eligible to receive up to 72 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year, after completing 90 days of employment. All Heal the Bay recognized Holidays will be compensated in accordance to time worked.
Full-time, 40 hours per week. Must be available for weekends, evenings, and holidays.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and/or brief introduction and resume/CV or list of qualifications to Jenna Segal, Associate Aquarium Director of Programs. Please put “Public Programs Manager” in the subject line.
April 1, 2021
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.