Associate Data Specialist
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is a regional environmental nonprofit organization dedicated to making Santa Monica Bay and Greater Los Angeles’ coastal waters safe and healthy for people and marine life. Progress toward the mission is achieved by effectively combining the use of science, advocacy, community outreach, and public education to create positive change in our local environment.
Heal the Bay commits to creating and maintaining a diverse team and inclusive culture that respects all individuals. We strive to foster a positive work environment where inclusive behaviors are the norm; prioritize our work through an equity and inclusivity lens; and create a space where all employees are welcomed, treated with dignity and respect, and are in a position to be successful.
About the Role
The Associate Data Specialist will be a critical part of the Data Team, supporting the Senior Specialist with Salesforce administration, user management, interface modifications and training, and with the flow of information throughout various databases. This part-time, non-exempt position reports directly to the Data & Technical Senior Specialist.
REPORTS TO: Data & Technical Senior Specialist
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Support Data team on Salesforce projects as needed (including reports, dashboards, duplicate management and data cleanup and migration)
- Utilize/Test integrations across platforms/systems with an emphasis on automation.
- Assist with data entry into Salesforce to ensure records are complete and accurate.
- Support ongoing staff training with data tools and resources, including, but not limited to: Zapier, Shopify, Classy, Eventbrite, Emma, Zoho, Zapier, PayPal, Stripe, OneCause, Microsoft Suite and more.
- Support research, development and deployment of Salesforce features that benefit staff and Heal the Bay.
- Keep abreast of updates to Salesforce and relevant technologies to maintain or improve processes within the team and organization at large.
- Other Data Team assignments as directed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to upholding and advancing the organization’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI).
- Bachelor’s degree related to computers or data OR 1-3 years of equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Salesforce (bonus points for Nonprofit Success Pack!) administration and development.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and project planning skills.
- Strong ability to manage cross-departmental data projects and integrations.
- Meticulous, accurate, able to make careful and considerate changes.
- Understands data’s influence at differing levels and the need and advantages of automation.
- Self-starter with desire to innovate, update or replace existing processes for improving staff quality of life.
- Comfortable being self-sufficient in conjunction with being collaborative as a team.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, multitask and meet deadlines.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently to staff of varying technical ability.
- Patience & grit for finding solutions from different angles when one is not readily apparent.
- Able to move between various apps and technologies with ease.
- Strong passion for Heal the Bay’s mission and a love for the environment.
If you don’t meet all the preferred skills above, you are still encouraged to apply and will be considered based on diverse and equivalent skills and experience.
Extra Credit DLC
- Whimsy encouraged
- Dry wit appreciated
- Bad (or Great) celebrity impressions endorsed
- Spontaneous dancing approved
- Self-deprecation sanctioned
- Mistakes are a gift! Learn from them
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Hiring Range $23-27/hour based on experience, with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld.
This position is a part-time (25-29 hours/week average) hourly position. Occasional deadline-related work may be required during evenings and weekends throughout the year.
In accordance with California Labor Law, employee will be eligible to receive up to 72 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year, after completing 90 days of employment. All Heal the Bay recognized holidays will be compensated in accordance with time worked.
The employee is occasionally asked to reach with hands and arms; the employee is regularly asked to talk or hear.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: April 30, 2023. Apply here. No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.