Beach Programs Associate
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds of greater L.A. safe, healthy, and clean. Heal the Bay mobilizes L.A.’s diverse communities to protect our coastline, revitalize our urban waterways, and speak out for smart water policies. For more than three decades, we’ve been the guardian of the Bay – protecting the health of beachgoers and animals alike.
California’s diversity is one of its greatest strengths. Heal the Bay is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment that respects all individuals regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, religion, or age. We are focused on recruiting and retaining a diverse team of employees, fostering a positive environment where inclusive behaviors are the norm, prioritizing our work through an equity and inclusivity lens, and embedding accountability for diversity throughout the organization. We are committed to creating an environment where all employees are included, are treated with dignity and respect, and are in a position to contribute to our success.
About the Position
If the beach is your happy place, this is the job for you! The Beach Programs Associate is a part time (8-25 hours/week*) position responsible for assisting host Heal the Bay’s beach cleanup programs. All cleanup programs offer volunteers a unique and engaging opportunity to explore solutions to plastic pollution while collecting data and mitigating the lasting impacts of marine debris. As part of the Outreach Team, the Beach Programs Associate is involved in a variety of volunteer programs, including Coastal Cleanup Day, Nothin’ But Sand, Adopt-A-Beach, and Suits on the Sand.
The focus of this role is fulfilling the in-person portion of the Suits on the Sand, our private cleanup program. The Suits on the Sand cleanup program is an excellent networking opportunity to connect with L.A.’s leading businesses. The Outreach Team hosts these clients for their private beach cleanup curated just for their employees. The cleanup schedule varies, some weekends are required with advance notice.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- This role is within the Outreach Department, reports to the Beach Programs Manager, and works closely with the Advancement Department for the Suits on the Sand program.
- Steward working relationships with re-occurring volunteers.
- Load/unload/drive company truck with supplies.
- Maintain supply inventory and equipment maintenance.
- Host and assist at beach cleanups as a representative of Heal the Bay.
- Collect and report beach cleanup data and help maintain the Marine Debris Database.
- Support other program offerings such as, but not limited to:
- Coastal Cleanup Day (annual county-wide cleanup),
- Nothin’ But Sand (Monthly public cleanup)
- Adopt-A-Beach self-guided cleanups with supply distribution and offering safety talks,
- Outreach Tabling opportunities/volunteer recruitment
- Supporting Aquarium events
Preferred Experience & Skills
- Represent Heal the Bay with prid.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills, with public speaking experience.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability to work effectively with the diverse communities of Los Angeles County.
The employee is regularly asked to reach with hands and arms; the employee is regularly asked to talk or hear; This employee is regularly asked to walk over sand and uneven ground.
Lifts Weight or Exerts Force Work Environment: The employee is asked to occasionally lift up to 40 pounds.
Work Environment: The employee will regularly work in outdoor weather conditions in the sand.
This is a non-exempt, part time position. Weekly schedule will vary. 8 hours/week are guaranteed with most weeks averaging 15-20 hours. Cleanups generally occur during normal business hours but the occasional weekend cleanup does occur.
Hours and Compensation:
Hourly rate is $16.00-$19.00 Depending on experience. Start date: ASAP
How to Apply
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.
Heal the Bay requires all staff to obtain and maintain up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations, when available. Heal the Bay believes this is an important measure to protect the health and safety of employees, volunteers, family members and those who visit the workplace from COVID-19 infection. Staff must show proof of vaccination (vaccination card or website).