Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit organization dedicated to making coastal waters safe and healthy for people and marine life. Progress toward the mission is achieved by effectively combining the use of science, advocacy, community outreach, and public education to create positive change in our environment.
Heal the Bay is looking for a whip-smart, super motivated, digitally savvy communications professional who loves storytelling as much as our mission. Using fresh thinking, clever execution and the latest digital tools, you will mobilize a diverse community of hundreds of thousands of Angelenos to protect our ocean, beaches, and inland watersheds. You will report to the Director of Marketing Communications and hold the day-to-day responsibility for creative campaigns that drive online giving, spur e-advocacy on our behalf, boost volunteer sign-ups and increase visits to Heal the Bay’s Aquarium at the Santa Monica Pier.
If you’re stoked about infusing Southern California’s flagship grassroots nonprofit with cutting-edge communication and engagement tools, this is the job for you.
- Serve as the primary author of Heal the Bay’s voice, public messaging and content creation
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic communications and marketing collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, website, petitions, op-eds, social media, blog, email marketing, direct mail appeals, press releases, videos, advertisements, action alerts
- Work with department members to generate content for communications outreach and campaigns
- Create and manage communications calendar for website, email, direct mail, social media and events
- Implement compelling multi-channel advocacy and fundraising campaigns for owned, earned and paid media
- Oversee community management for campaigns on key social media and publishing platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Reddit, Medium and Flickr)
- Manage organization’s digital assets: photos, videos and creative collateral
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with pro-bono partners in the communications industry, such as photographers and content producers
- Prepare monthly reports to track progress toward quarterly goals around these key actions: Donate, Volunteer, Advocate, Visit and Share
- Recruit and manage communications interns and volunteers
- Minimum BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Passionate for storytelling through multiple media types, both visual and written
- Excellent writing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and a scrupulous attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and adhere to deadlines with limited supervision
- Commitment to collaborative problem-solving with a positive attitude and generous spirit
- Tenacity, humor, and confidence when faced with challenging projects
- Superb project management skills to get things done
- Proven ability to set and meet measurable goals
- Familiarity with AP and/or Chicago Style required
- 4+ years communications experience required
- 3+ years social media (organic and paid) experience required
- 3+ years copyediting and proofreading experience required
- 2+ years email marketing experience required
- 2+ years WordPress or other CMS experience required
- 1+ years Proficiency in Salesforce or similar CRM experience required
- Advanced skills in copywriting and editing software (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Acrobat and Google Drive) are required
- Proficiency in graphic design, video and multimedia editing tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, iMovie, Canva, Dropbox, native/live video) are required
- Advanced knowledge of SEO/SEM best practices
- Fluency with both PC and Mac platforms
Even Better If
- Passionate about telling multicultural stories and engaging diverse communities
- Appreciation for the environment and clean water
- Enjoys interpreting complex, scientific information for audiences to digest easily
- Understanding of the communications landscape and developments in new media, tech, government and related industries
- Fluency in Spanish
Hours and Compensation
This position is a full-time salaried position. Compensation includes accrued vacation and sick time as well as retirement/health/dental/vision/life benefits. Heal the Bay offers an excellent benefit package. Occasional deadline-related work may be required during evenings and weekends throughout the year. The annual salary range is $40,000-$55,000, depending on experience.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and portfolio of work samples to Talia Walsh. If you do not submit a portfolio, your application will not be considered. No phone calls please.
Heal the Bay is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce.