Digital Communications Coordinator
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making our coastal waters and watersheds safe, healthy and clean. To fulfill our mission, we use science, education, community action and advocacy. We educate the greater Los Angeles region about ocean conservation, the causes and impacts of water pollution, the need for a resilient water supply, and what we can all do to make a difference. We reach over 150,000 people annually through our Heal the Bay Aquarium, beach cleanups and community outreach programs.
About the Role
Heal the Bay’s Communications Department is looking for a part-time Digital Communications Coordinator with a heart of kelp. From being a primary caregiver for our healthebay.org website to improving Accessibility, UX, and SEO across our digital channels and helping us broaden our audience and increase giving, we are seeking someone to play a key role on the Communications Team. This role reports to the Communications Director.
Here’s how we’ll know that you’re ready to contribute to one of LA’s most successful environmental nonprofits: You love the coastline as much as coding. You are serious about your work and supremely organized, but you know when it’s time to take a break and (briefly) binge on sea otter videos. If you think you have what it takes and want to work with a team of passionate, funny, ocean-loving scientists, educators and advocates, we encourage you to apply.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the publishing of content on our website.
- Improve organization’s Digital Accessibility.
- Remove outdated content and refresh existing pages for optimal site performance and navigability.
- Implement best practices for SEO and assist in training staff on SEO techniques.
- Prioritize and resolve technical website requests.
- Collaborate/liaise with the Advancement department in developing tools and tactics for digital fundraising and improved email subscriber acquisition.
- Help us stay current with developments and changes in digital marketing, content management, and emerging technologies in cloud-based applications and file standards.
- Serve as primary support to Communications Manager for monthly e-newsletter production and day-to-day social media publishing.
- Act as a line of support (or shoulder to cry on) for staff when digital issues arise.
- Conduct staff training on effective communications practices.
- Provide general department support as needed.
- Familiarity with the Los Angeles County region required.
- Ability to coordinate web and digital projects, meet deadlines and overcome challenges collaboratively.
- Fluency in both PC, Macintosh, iOS and Android platforms required.
- Minimum three years of WordPress or other administrative Content Management System (CMS) authoring/editing experience required.
- Strong web layout and design skills, including the ability to write and edit HTML and CSS.
- Copy editing expertise and sharp attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Canva required; Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Final Cut Pro and/or Premiere a plus.
- Experience with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube strongly preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRMs strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with email clients like MailChimp and MyEmma is a plus.
- Familiarity with social media clients like Hootsuite and Later is a plus.
- Experience managing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts; paid social media experience is a plus.
- Bilingual (and specifically Spanish-speaking) a plus.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Hiring range starts at $19.23/hour depending on experience, with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld.
Flexible! 20-25 hours per week. While this position will be remote, participation in occasional (monthly) in-person events and cleanups that periodically take place on the weekend or during the evening, will be necessary. Heal the Bay offers a dynamic work environment with highly motivated colleagues including other staff and volunteers.
The employee is occasionally required to work in outdoor conditions, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and a work sample to Talia Walsh, Heal the Bay Communications Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Communications Coordinator” as the subject line.
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.