Digital & Public Relations Communications Senior Coordinator
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 1985. We use science, education, community action, and advocacy to fulfill our mission to protect coastal waters and watersheds in Southern California with a particular focus on public health, climate change, biodiversity, and environmental justice. We reach more than 150,000 people annually through our Heal the Bay Aquarium, beach cleanups, and community outreach programs.
About the Role
Heal the Bay’s Communications Department is looking for a part-time Digital Communications Senior Coordinator with an environmental activist spirit. Act as the primary caregiver for our healthebay.org website and get creative across our digital channels to help us broaden our audience and increase giving. We are seeking a team player to play a key role in the Communications Department. This role reports to the Communications Manager.
Here’s how we’ll know that you’re ready to contribute to one of LA’s most successful environmental nonprofits: You love the coastline as much as digital PR. Data and digital design is your deal and you love getting into the numbers to increase visibility.
You are serious about your work and supremely organized, a competent writer/ copy editor, and have digital media chops. If you think you have what it takes and want to work with a team of passionate, funny, ocean-loving scientists, educators and advocates, we encourage you to apply.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Graphic design is no problem for you. Photoshop and Adobe are a plus (Canva is a must).
- Video reels are very real – you are experienced telling stories in motion.
- Coordinate the publishing of content on our website (you must fluently speak WordPress).
- Prioritize and resolve technical website requests and regularly reorganize the site to keep it current for optimal site performance and navigability.
- Implement best practices for SEO and assist in training staff on SEO techniques.
- Liaise with the Development, Aquarium and Science & Policy departments in developing digital marketing tools and publicity ideas as well as tactics for digital fundraising and improved email subscriber acquisition.
- Help us stay current with developments and changes in digital marketing, content management, and emerging technologies in cloud-based applications and file standards.
- Serve as primary support to Communications Manager for monthly e-newsletter production and day-to-day social media publishing.
- Sharp attention to detail, extremely organized and deadline minded.
- Ability to coordinate web and digital projects, meet deadlines and overcome challenges collaboratively.
- Fluency in both PC, Macintosh, iOS and Android platforms required.
- Minimum two years of Wordpress or other administrative Content Management System (CMS) authoring/editing experience required.
- Strong web layout and design skills, including the ability to write and edit HTML and CSS.
- Proficiency in Canva required; Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Final Cut Pro and/or Premiere a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRMs strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with email clients like MailChimp and MyEmma is a plus.
- Familiarity with social media clients like Hootsuite and Later.
- Experience managing Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts; paid social media experience is a plus.
- Bilingual (and specifically Spanish speaking) a plus.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. Hiring range $20.50 an hour depending on experience, with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld.
Flexible! 20-25 hours per week. While this position will be remote, participation in occasional (monthly) in-person events and cleanups that periodically take place on the weekend or during the evening, will be necessary. Heal the Bay offers a dynamic work environment with highly motivated colleagues including other staff and volunteers.
The employee is occasionally required to work in outdoor conditions, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter, resume and a work sample when prompted here. No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.