Heal the Bay Aquarium Public Programs Associate
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds in Los Angeles County safe, healthy and clean. For more than three decades, we’ve been a watchdog for the Bay. We mobilize LA communities to protect the coastline, restore waterways and speak out for smart water policies. Heal the Bay pursues our mission through science, advocacy and education.
Through Heal the Bay Aquarium, beach cleanups and community outreach programs, we educate 150,000+ people a year about the undersea wonders of our local Santa Monica Bay, the causes and impacts of local water pollution, the need for a sustainable water supply and what we all can do to make a difference.
Heal the Bay is looking for a part-time Public Programs Associate interested in supporting our community programs and guest relations.
- Greet, welcome, listen, understand and address the needs of our visitors while creating a welcoming environment that supports Heal the Bay’s mission of fostering inclusivity, dignity, and respect for a diverse community
- Oversee the public hours daily operations including running the front desk, managing the register, organizing setup and the day’s activities, and cashier balancing at close of business day
- Setup and breakdown of public hours, assist with stocking and inventory of the retail shop
- Assist with all aspects of public program visiting hours, including general cleaning and organizing of the public space, maintaining supply levels, and checking bathrooms
- Facilitate birthday parties, teach education programing, and assist with other events, programs and Aquarium needs as necessary to inspire wonder and inspire guests to take action
- Maintain a high level of enthusiasm while performing repetitive, interpretive programs on a regular basis
- Provide general natural history, science and sustainability information for guests in an age-appropriate manner
- Support training and supervision of Heal the Bay volunteers and interns
- Represent Heal the Bay at various community education events throughout Los Angeles
- Adhere to animal handling and husbandry standards according to aquarium guidelines
- Support other aquarium and Heal the Bay programs, campaigns and duties as necessary
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills in both English and Spanish (preferred)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to be flexible and multitask
- Ability to lead and coordinate volunteers during weekend and weekday public hours
- Familiarity with Santa Monica Bay marine organisms
- Experience working with children
- Affinity and passion for the environment
- Deep desire to honor the diversity of our visitors
- Can work independently with minimal supervision and take initiative
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Compensation: $15.00 per hour with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld. Part-time 8-29 hours per week. Must be available for occasional evening and weekend events. There are no dental, medical, or health insurance, or vacation benefits included as part of employment. As per state of CA Labor Law, employee will be eligible to receive up to 72 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year, after completing 90 days of employment.
How to Apply: Submit your resume and cover letter by email to Jenna Segal. No phone calls please.
Heal the Bay is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.