MPA Watch and Outreach Associate
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds in Los Angeles County safe, healthy and clean. For more than three decades, we’ve been a watchdog for the Bay. We mobilize LA communities to protect the coastline, restore waterways and speak out for smart water policies. Heal the Bay pursues our mission through science, advocacy and education.
The MPA Watch and Outreach Associate is a one year, part time (20-25 hours/week) temporary position, responsible for assisting in the running of the MPA Watch program, Heal the Bay’s community science program to assess human use of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). The Associate will also be responsible for assisting with Heal the Bay’s outreach programs, including beach cleanups, community tabling events, and our Speakers Bureau program, which provides free educational talks all over LA County.
- MPA Watch program associate
- Draft the monthly MPA Watch Volunteer newsletter, including development and design of written and visual content, under supervision of the program manager
- Assist in the development and assemblage of MPA Watch training materials, such as PowerPoints, visual aids and training kits
- Assist in providing MPA Watch training sessions, both in the classroom and in the field, 3 times a year to the general public and 1-3 times a year to private groups
- Participate in the monthly environmental DNA (eDNA) MPA Watch community science collaboration as needed with UCLA collaborator
- Assist in hiring and training MPA Watch interns seasonally
- Perform quality assurance quality control checks on volunteer surveys, review surveys, and perform data analysis
- Data management of MPA Watch surveys
- Support beach cleanup programs at locations around Santa Monica Bay through our Suits on the Sand corporate cleanups
- Load truck with supplies, set up and break down cleanup on beach, give educational and safety talk to groups, interact with groups and serve as a representative of Heal the Bay
- Support Speakers Bureau programs throughout Los Angeles
- Give talks and presentations to various age groups, schools, community groups, and others on pollution, storm drain system, marine protected areas, and other Heal the Bay issues
- Represent Heal the Bay at various community education events throughout Los Angeles in the form of tabling
- Organize and prep outreach kits, attend events
- Support other programs, campaigns and duties as assigned
- Must have valid CA driver’s license
- Must be comfortable driving a full size pick up
- Strong passion for Heal the Bay’s mission
- Background in coastal issues, specifically Marine Protected Areas preferred
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills, with public speaking experience
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively with the diverse communities of Los Angeles County
- Evening and weekend work is required
- Must have access to reliable transportation
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- The employee is regularly asked to reach with hands and arms; the employee is regularly asked to talk or hear
- Lifts Weight or Exerts Force Work Environment
- The employee is asked to occasionally lift up to 30 pounds
Work Environment: The employee is regularly asked to be in outdoor weather conditions.
Compensation: Hourly rate is $15.00. This is a non-exempt, part time position (20-25 hrs/week) with no benefits. This is a one year contract position until September 30, 2020; continuation of this position is contingent upon funding. The schedule will be Tuesday-Saturday. Flexible availability is preferred.
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter by email with subject line “MPA Watch and Outreach Associate”. Review of applications will begin on October 4, 2019. No phone calls please.
Heal the Bay is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits to promote diversity in our workforce. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.