About the Organization
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit dedicated to making the coastal waters and watersheds of greater L.A. safe, healthy and clean. To fulfill our mission, we use science, education, community action and advocacy. We educate the greater Los Angeles region about the undersea wonders of our local Santa Monica Bay, the causes and impacts of local water pollution, the need for an improved resilient water supply, and what Angelenos can do to make a difference. We reach over 150,000 people every year through our Heal the Bay Aquarium, beach cleanups and community outreach programs.
California’s diversity is one of its greatest strengths. Heal the Bay is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment that respects all individuals regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, religion, or age. We are focused on recruiting and retaining a diverse team of employees, fostering a positive environment where inclusive behaviors are the norm, prioritizing our work through an equity and inclusivity lens, and embedding accountability for diversity throughout the organization. We are committed to creating an environment where all employees are included, are treated with dignity and respect, and are in a position to contribute to our success.
About the Role
Heal the Bay is looking for a full-time Outreach Manager to support our community programs.
Under the supervision of the Associate Director of Campaigns & Outreach, the Outreach Manager oversees the Speakers Bureau, Corporate Cleanups and Club Heal the Bay programs to provide high quality community environmental education. Heal the Bay’s Speakers Bureau Program reaches nearly 40,000 people every year, educating the Los Angeles public about the causes and impacts of ocean pollution, and how to get involved to be part of the solution. The Outreach Manager leads a team of volunteers and prioritizes the organization’s strategic initiatives through collaborative communication internally and externally. The Outreach Manager is a member of the Science, Outreach, and Policy Department and ensures that campaign messaging and advocacy opportunities are incorporated into outreach programs.
Expectations & Responsibilities
· Manage all aspects of Speakers Bureau Program including budgeting, bi-annual trainings, course development, presentation delivery and volunteer management.
· Manage Corporate Cleanup Program (Suits on the Sand) including day of set up and event leadership and logistics (arrange additional staffing/supplies)
· Manage Heal the Bay high school program (Club Heal the Bay) including summits and ongoing support for active clubs.
· Support Beach Programs manager at monthly Nothin’ But Sand cleanups.
· Support program offerings such as, but not limited to: Lunch & Learn, Aquarium offerings, Earth Month and other programing (virtual and in-person).
· Participate in departmental and all staff meetings, as well as contribute to issue/campaign team.
Preferred Experience & Skills
· Volunteer management
· High School Teaching (formal or informal)
· High cultural competency in serving diverse communities of Los Angeles County
· Experience with, or interest in educating about environmental issues, including familiarity with Los Angeles and Santa Monica Bay water ways and coastal ecosystems
· Comfort moving around sand environment
· Comfort driving a pickup truck
· Ability to lift 25 lbs
· Excellent communication and public speaking skills
· Excellent people skills and a passion for working with the public
· Written and oral fluency in Spanish
· Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) software such as Salesforce to manage volunteers, talks, events, and campaigns
· Well organized, able to multi-task, and perform in a fast-paced work environment
· Ability to work collaboratively and communicate well with a team, as well as work independently with minimal supervision and ability to take initiative
If you don’t meet all of the preferred skills above, you are still encouraged to apply and will be considered based on diverse and equivalent skills and experience.
This is a non-exempt full-time position, hiring range starts at $21.63/hour (based on experience) with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld.
Dental, health insurance, and vacation benefits are included as part of employment. In accordance with California Labor Law, employee will be eligible to receive up to 72 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year, after completing 90 days of employment. All Heal the Bay recognized Holidays will be compensated in accordance to time worked.
Full-time, 40 hours per week. Must be available for some weekends, evenings. Due to COVID-19, we are currently working from home but will transition back to working from our Santa Monica office with some flexibility, once it is safe to do so. Heal the Bay offers a dynamic work environment with highly motivated colleagues including other staff and volunteers.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and/or brief introduction and resume/CV or list of qualifications to Danielle Furuichi (they/them/theirs), Outreach Manager. Please put “Outreach Manager” in the subject line. You can address your materials to Mx. Danielle Furuichi.
April 30, 2021. Position start day May 17, 2021
Heal the Bay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.