Public Programs Associate
Public Programs Associate
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit group dedicated to making California coastal waters safe and healthy for people and marine life. We achieve our mission by using science, advocacy, community outreach, and public education to create positive change in our environment.
About the Role
Heal the Bay reaches out to over 150,000 people every year through Heal the Bay Aquarium, beach cleanups and community outreach programs. We educate the Southern California region, and visitors from all over the world, about the undersea wonders of our local Santa Monica Bay, the causes and impacts of local water pollution, the need for improved resilient water supply and what we can all do to make a difference.
Heal the Bay is seeking an ambitious and ocean-loving person for a part-time Public Programs Associate position. The ideal candidate is committed to Heal the Bay’s belief that Los Angeles’ diversity is one of its greatest strengths. The Santa Monica Pier, where Heal the Bay Aquarium is located, welcomes visitors from down the street, across Los Angeles County and around the world — and everywhere in between. We are looking for candidates with excellent interpersonal skills who are excited about creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment that respects all individuals and makes them feel welcome.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Greet, listen, understand, and address the needs of our visitors while creating a welcoming environment that supports Heal the Bay’s mission of fostering inclusivity, dignity, and respect.
- Assist with all aspects of daily operations including set up and break down of exhibits and activities, running the front desk, retail desk, managing the register, performing interpretation/informal education on the floor, presenting on animal topics, general cleaning and organizing of the public space, maintaining supply levels, checking bathrooms, and cashier balancing at close of business day.
- Help facilitate birthday parties, teach education programing, and assist with other events, programs and Aquarium needs as necessary to inspire wonder and inspire guests to take action
- Maintain a high level of enthusiasm while performing repetitive, interpretive programs on a regular basis.
- Support training and supervision of Heal the Bay volunteers and interns.
- Represent Heal the Bay at various community education events throughout Los Angeles.
- Adhere to animal handling and husbandry standards according to aquarium guidelines.
- Ensure volunteers are performing optimally.
- Ability to promote an organizational culture of equity and inclusion
- Conversational level of knowledge of at least two languages
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to be flexible and multitask
- Experience working with volunteers
- Can work collaboratively with a team
- Can also work independently with minimal supervision and take initiative
- Must be at least 18 years of age
$15.00 per hour with appropriate state and federal taxes withheld. There are no dental, medical, or health insurance, or vacation benefits included as part of employment. As per state of CA Labor Law, employee will be eligible to receive up to 72 hours of paid sick leave per calendar year, after completing 90 days of employment.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to Colleen Sullivan, Public Programs Manager. Please put “Public Programs Associate” in the subject line.
April 30, 2020.
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.