Senior Specialist Development
About the Organization
About Heal the Bay: Heal the Bay is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1985. They use science, education, community action, and advocacy to fulfill their mission to protect coastal waters and watersheds in Southern California with a particular focus on public health, climate change, biodiversity, and environmental justice. Heal the Bay Aquarium, located at the Santa Monica Pier, welcomes 100,000 guests annually and hosts a variety of public programs and events that highlight local environmental issues and solutions. Learn more at www.healthebay.org and follow @healthebay on social media.
About the Role
Heal the Bay is seeking a full-time Senior Specialist of Development to support the organization’s individual fundraising plan including year-round cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
Heal the Bay’s Senior Specialist of Development position requires approximately 70% Fundraising and 30% Administrative responsibilities.
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Development, the Senior Specialist of Development will increase individual donor fundraising in support of the organization’s mission.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Create and execute quarterly fundraising plans to reach or exceed organization’s individual giving revenue targets through activities including direct mail, proposal preparation, cultivation events, annual giving, and tribute giving.
- Implement donor pipeline strategies to qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors while tracking moves management in Salesforce.
- In coordination with the VP of Development, establish measurable goals, metrics, and specific strategies for expanding both levels and sources of support.
- Work across departments to produce compelling case statements, proposals, direct mail campaigns, gift acknowledgements, and stewardship-related materials.
- Manage and grow sustainer (monthly donor) program.
- Ensure the timely acknowledgement and stewardship of donors with information captured in Salesforce.
- Responsible for identifying new potential donors including the use of search engines and software designed to record, research, prospect, and cultivate relationships with donors.
- Oversee the promotion and management of planned gifts designated to the organization.
- Assist with the execution of administrative tasks, including processing stock donations and donor-advised fund gifts.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to upholding and advancing the organization’s commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI), potentially including participation in Heal the Bay’s JEDI Committee.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Preferred Experience & Skills·
- A minimum of two years of nonprofit fundraising experience, including a background in donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- The successful candidate will have exceptional interpersonal and writing skills, possess strong attention to detail, demonstrate excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, and will ideally be proficient in Salesforce and Emma (or similar email platform).
- The successful candidate will be comfortable working independently as well as in collaboration with a team and across departments.
- The successful candidate will complete assigned tasks with accuracy and minimal direction.
- Strong computer skills, data entry and Microsoft Office, including advanced skills in Microsoft Excel is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain tracking systems.
- Ability to develop and implement departmental procedures.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, if necessary.
This is a exempt, full-time position with an annual salary of $68,000 – $75,000 depending on experience.
Dental, health insurance, and vacation benefits are included as part of employment. Heal the Bay covers 90% of benefit package.
Full-time, 40 hours per week. Must be available for some weekends, evenings. Heal the Bay works on a hybrid schedule of in office and from home. Heal the Bay offers a dynamic work environment with highly motivated staff and volunteers.
How To Apply
Application Deadline: 2/20/23 Position start day ASAP
APPLY HERE Please submit cover letter, brief introduction and resume/CV with list of qualifications to ADP application website to be considered. Please do not call or email Heal the Bay.
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.