Volunteer Programs Manager
About the Organization
Heal the Bay is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to making Southern California coastal waters and watersheds, including Santa Monica Bay, safe, healthy and clean. We achieve this through research, education, public outreach, community action, and advocacy.
Heal the Bay’s public programs reach over 150,000 people every year, educating the Los Angeles public about the causes and impacts of water pollution, watershed and ocean health, local water supply, with a focus on the variety of ways community members can help.
About the Role
Heal the Bay engages a multitude of volunteers across its many programs, of which the largest is our Aquarium at the Santa Monica Pier where a large dedicated team of volunteers provide support to the Public Outreach, Education, and Animal Care programs daily. The Aquarium offers school groups, local families, and visitors a unique view into the ocean world just outside its doors. Other volunteer programs under the purview of this position include Speakers Bureau, Beach Cleanups, and MPA Watch.
This position is based at the Heal the Bay Aquarium and reports to the Associate Aquarium Director of Programs.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Create a fun and welcoming atmosphere to encourage volunteerism and volunteer retention
- Maintain a professional and enthusiastic attitude when representing Heal the Bay visitors, staff, and volunteers
- Promote an organizational culture of equity and inclusion and review your words and actions through the lens of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Recruit volunteers to ensure diverse and inclusive representation
- Oversee internship programs and work with managers to grow their programs
- Develop leadership opportunities and increase retention rates within volunteer ranks
- Conduct monthly evening volunteer and intern orientations and trainings
- Support volunteer programs onboarding, tracking, and ongoing enrichment
- Coordinate with volunteer managers to ensure consistency across all programs
- Manage volunteer appreciation programs, including the volunteer party, booster events, and continuing educational events
- Coordinate with program and data managers to track volunteer activities and hours through the use of Sales Force software
- Support the communication department with volunteer communications, including newsletters, website, and social media posts
- Manage volunteers for special events, including the Annual Benefit Dinner, Beach Cleanups, and other holidays and fundraising opportunities
- Coordinate with program managers to ensure consistency between internship programs, including on-boarding, communications, training, expectations, and work performance
- Stay up to date with labor laws regarding internship programs to ensure compliancy
- Oversee volunteer background check procedures and workflows
- Work with Associate Director to manage the volunteer budget, including tracking and maintaining data for grant reports
- Engage as a critical member of the Heal the Bay Aquarium leadership team and maintain a consistent schedule on-site as well as remotely
- Provide support for the critical aquarium public programs if volunteer support is unable to meet the basic needs
- Stay up to date with regular administrative duties and attend meetings as necessary
- Written and oral fluency in Spanish a plus
- Previous volunteer coordination experience preferred
- Cultural competency
- Strong leadership, coordination, and planning skills
- Well organized, able to work on several projects simultaneously
- Must be able to work independently and as a team
- Outstanding communication and people skills, written and oral, including public speaking
- Ability to meet deadlines and remain flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Knowledge of and passion for protecting the environment
- Ability to use computers and programs including Mac, PC, and Microsoft Office Suite a must
- Knowledge in the use of Sales Force, Acuity Scheduling, Shopify point of sale system, TRACKS record keeping, and all major Social Media platforms a plus
- Valid driver’s license or ability to use public transit to move throughout the community
$21.63/hour base hiring range based on experience. Benefits package includes 90% of medical, dental, vision, life insurance.
A retirement option is available after one year of employment.
Full-time, non-exempt position will work weekends as well as some evenings including monthly volunteer training.
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to Jenna Segal, Associate Aquarium Director of Programs.
Heal the Bay is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status and we strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County.
Heal the Bay complies with AB 1008, the Fair Chance Act, during the hiring process. Once a conditional job offer has been made the candidate will be asked to complete a Live Scan criminal background check. A thorough assessment of conviction history will be considered including: the nature and gravity of the criminal history, the time that has passed since the conviction, and the nature of the job the candidate is seeking.