Community Gathering and Vigil In Memory of Conception
Heal the Bay extends our deepest sympathies to all of those who experienced loss in the destruction of the dive boat Conception near Santa Cruz Island on Monday, September 2. The diving community is a close-knit group of passionate people who truly love and appreciate the ocean. Our thoughts are with the families and friends who lost their loved ones.
We are saddened to hear about Marybeth Guiney, a Heal the Bay cleanup volunteer and donor dating back to 2011, who was aboard Conception.
Marybeth Guiney is pictured here to the far right-hand side at a Heal the Bay Speakers Bureau Training in 2017.
Marybeth Guiney is pictured here in the center under the banner holding up a peace sign after a beach cleanup on March 18, 2017.
Ways to Donate
Please seek out the individual GoFundMe pages in support of families.
The divers on the Conception were drawn to the wonders of the Channel Islands. In memory of those ocean lovers, here are some organizations that support this critical ecosystem:
Support local first responders:
Please contact us if you have additional recommendations for GoFundMe pages and organizations to support. We did our best to comprise fundraising resources, and we appreciate any suggestions you may have.
In memory of Conception and in honor of all the lives lost, we’re holding a Community Gathering and Vigil at Heal the Bay Aquarium with Eco Dive Center on Thursday, September 5 from 6:00PM to 10:00PM. Our hope is to bring together family, friends, the diving community and the general public to grieve. We kindly ask attendees to please bring open hearts and dive lights or flash lights, if you have them.
- Date: Thursday, September 5
- Location: Heal the Bay Aquarium at 1600 Ocean Front Walk
- Time: 6pm-10pm
- Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2413769162236327/
- 6:00pm – Gathering at Heal the Bay Aquarium. Dive videos on display; Bringing a reusable beverage container is recommended.
- 7:00pm-7:15pm – Formal words from:
- Shelley Luce, Heal the Bay CEO and President
- Richard Bloom, Assemblymember for the 50th Assembly District including Santa Monica
- 7:15pm-7:45pm – Open mic for storytelling and sharing; getting ready for procession
- 7:45pm-8:00pm – Vigil procession down to beach
- 8:00pm-8:45pm – Gathering on shore to hear bagpipes in memory of those lost
- 8:45pm-10:00pm – Gathering at Rusty’s Surf Ranch on the Santa Monica Pier