Thank You Thursdays – 10.25.12
About the BayAbout UsAround the BayExperience the Santa Monica BayGet InvolvedMarina del Rey / Playa del ReyMore Ways to GiveProgramsSanta MonicaVenice Beach
Seeing the Heal the Bay flag fly high gives us a “Zing!” feeling. There’s not much we enjoy more than sharing our message… except when others share it for us with equal enthusiasm.
• Last weekend, Adventure Voyaging invited us along for the launch of Cruising Season. Captain Woody Henderson and Captain Jim Mather hosted our crew (Nina Borin, Development Manager, Corporate Relations & Special Events, and Eddie Murphy, Secondary Education Coordinator) on a trip to Catalina. Captain Mather and his family helped us spread the word to “Protect What You Love” Thank you to Adventure Voyaging! (Eddie and Nina pictured below with the Adventure Voyaging crew.)
• Multi-platinum album selling rock band Incubus just announced that they are helping Heal the Bay fund our anti-marine debris advocacy programs through their Make Yourself Foundation. We are thrilled with the partnership and want to thank the band (which originated in Calabasas!) for sustaining our work. Stay tuned for more exciting news to come!
• A HUGE shoutout goes to our team of Beach Captains who worked so hard to help us go Zero Waste at the October Nothin’ But Sand in Venice last Saturday: Barrett Porter, Terumi Toyoshima, Jerry & Joady Gorelick, Tom Logan, Margarita Lozano Trejo, Olga L. Ayala, “Minah” and the “UPS dad and daughter duo.”
Here’s what Zero Waste meant for these Beach Captains and our staff: Schlepping heavy buckets and tons of garden gloves to the beach and back. Not to mention getting every item returned and cleaned. A special “WHOOT!” to Eveline Bravo, our courageous Beach Programs Manager for implementing this innovative program. The payoff was worth it: 500 volunteers only used 13 garbage bags, versus the 200 we would normally use for a Nothin’ But Sand cleanup!
Join us for the next Zero Waste beach cleanup, scheduled for Nov. 17, 2012. Remember to bring your own bucket and gloves!
We’d also like to thank:
- Phins Water Sports Club for sponsoring what will now be the annual Catalina Row Event to benefit Heal the Bay
- BedHead Pajamas for their ongoing support!
- Soaptopia! Mention “Heal the Bay Fundraiser” at checkout and 15% comes back to us as part of their Grassroots Gratitude endeavor to fund our Aquarium, among our other programs. We are certainly grateful as we LOVE Soaptopia!
- Ford Motor Company’s Community Changes program. Thank you, Ford! Get your next oil change through this program at one of four local dealerships (it doesn’t matter what make of car you drive) and name your price. Whatever amount you choose to pay will go directly to Heal the Bay. Register here.
- It’s not too late to order a tank or tee-shirt from Honu Yoga, and they’ll donate 20% to Heal the Bay! Plus, all through October, Casmaine Boutique (2914 Main Street in Santa Monica) will support Heal the Bay with every purchase of women’s clothes, jewelry or home décor. Learn more ways to shop with Heal the Bay.
Want to see your name here? You and/or your company can also help support Heal the Bay’s work to keep our local waters healthy and clean. Learn how.