Thank You Thursday – 10.18.12
Where would we be without clean rivers, streams, lakes and wetlands? We shudder at the thought. So today we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Clean Water Act and its environmental legacy.
As former Heal the Bay president Mark Gold wrote in yesterday’s Los Angeles Times:
“Los Angeles County residents owe the law a huge debt of gratitude. Because of it, Santa Monica Bay no longer has a dead zone, its bottom fish no longer have tumors and fin rot, and the days of baywide summer beach closures due to multimillion-gallon sewage spills are long gone.
These successes didn’t simply happen. They required the combined efforts of government and public activists, and took considerable financial investment, along with excellent engineering and construction work, and leadership at multiple levels. But without the Clean Water Act, they couldn’t have been accomplished.”
To help us forge ahead in our continued fight for clean water here in Los Angeles, this week we are grateful for:
- Jennifer Day, Outreach Specialist at REI Santa Monica, who organized a lively discussion for local nonprofits to help boost each organization’s social media presence. We’d also like to thank TreePeople, who hosted the conference at their inspiring campus on Mulholland Drive.
- REI’s corporate generosity. As the outdoor outfitter sponsors Stream Team, our citizen water testing program in the Malibu Creek Watershed. Thank you, REI! (And if you’re interested in joining Stream Team, our next volunteer training is November 10.)
- Local biotech company Amgen, which has also provided significant support to Stream Team as well as our beach cleanups. Over the summer, their employees got into the spirit by joining a Corporate Healer beach cleanup. Thank you, Amgen!
- The Employees Community Fund of Boeing California recently pooled their dollars in support of Heal the Bay’s Key to the Sea marine education program. Thanks in part to their grant, we were able to provide teacher workshops as well as 150 aquarium field trips to K-5th grade students throughout the Los Angeles area. We are so grateful to be included as recipients of this employee giving program. Thank you!
- FOX for hosting the FOX Fall Eco-Casino Party, celebrating the launch of the FOX Fall season, while raising money and awareness for Heal the Bay. FOX stars also graciously donated original autographed artwork that was auctioned off on eBay.
- Reza Iranpour, who not only donates his time to Heal the Bay as a Science and Policy committee member, but also shares with us the bounty of his rain garden,pictured to the right. Thank you, Reza! We truly value your support of our work throughout the years.
- Adventure Voyaging, which is organizing a raffle at the Catalina Cruiser’s Weekend Friday-Monday to benefit Heal the Bay. Ahoy!
- Soaptopia! Mention “Heal the Bay Fundraiser” at checkout and 15% comes back to us as part of their Grassroots Gratitude endeavor to fund our Aquarium among our other programs. We are certainly grateful, as we LOVE Soaptopia!
- Ford Motor Company’s Community Changes program. Thank you, Ford! Get your next oil change through this program at one of four local dealerships (it doesn’t matter what make of car you drive) and name your price. Whatever amount you choose to pay will go directly to Heal the Bay. Register here.
- Honu Yoga, as It’s not too late to order a tank or tee-shirt and they’ll donate 20% to Heal the Bay! Plus, all through October, Casmaine Boutique(2914 Main Street in Santa Monica) will support Heal the Bay with every purchase of women’s clothes, jewelry or home décor.
Want to see your name here? You and/or your company can also help support Heal the Bay’s work to keep our local waters healthy and clean. Learn how.