Our calendar of community science training, educational and advocacy events, volunteer opportunities and other impactful local experiences this month in L.A. and at Heal the Bay’s Santa Monica Pier Aquarium. Learn more about how to take part.
- This event has passed.
Coastal Cleanup Day 2018
September 15 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Coastal Cleanup Day is the world’s largest volunteer day to protect our environment. Heal the Bay organizes efforts in L.A. County and invites you to take part on Saturday, September 15, 2018. (En Español)
See our cleanup map below for this year’s locations.
In coordination with a statewide and global movement, together we’ll make a big dent in removing trash and debris from the environment. During Coastal Cleanup Day 2017, volunteers removed 800,000 pounds of trash and recyclables from California’s coast and inland waterways in only three hours. There’s power in numbers. Are you looking to take part in Coastal Cleanup Day on a deeper level? We have tons of ways you can participate this year:
- Share: Keep track of these hashtags: #CoastalCleanupDay and #SuitUpToCleanup. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Partnerships: From dynamic meetups, outdoor fitness activities and lively entertainment to food and beverage offers, there are multiple ways to take part, so let’s do something great together. Contact us.
- Fundraising: We invite you to turn your wild idea into a creative crowdfunding campaign for Heal the Bay. Get started.
- Sponsorships: Make the day-of Coastal Cleanup Day a rewarding experience for thousands of participants and earn some goodwill in the process. Learn more.
- Donations: Help us hold polluters accountable, keep our beaches safe and clean, and inspire thousands of kids and families each year to become ocean stewards. Give now.
- Waivers: All participants are required to sign a waiver. If you have not completed one yet, please download a PDF and bring a signed copy with you: Spanish, English, Korean
- NEW! 2018 Posters: This year’s posters feature iconic locations where cleanups are hosted, illustrated by Semira Chadorchi, are available for download: Spanish (JPG), English (JPG) and Korean (JPG)
Coastal Cleanup Day 2018 Site Map
There are over 60 beach, river, inland and water Coastal Cleanup Day locations in Los Angeles County:
Check out coastalcleanupday.org for locations all over California.
What is Coastal Cleanup Day all about?
Coastal Cleanup Day is a local volunteering event celebrated in communities worldwide. How it works is simple. Volunteers pick up trash and the items are tallied up to raise awareness about our major pollution challenges. Plastic pollution and tiny trash are increasingly the most common things we see littered in our environment in addition to the number one item we find: cigarette butts.
Once again Heal the Bay is the official coordinator of International Coastal Cleanup locations in Los Angeles County in association with the California Coastal Commission and Ocean Conservancy to help turn the tide.
How did this event get started?
The International Coastal Cleanup, organized by Ocean Conservancy, began more than 30 years ago when communities rallied together with the common goal of collecting and documenting the trash on their coastline. Every year on the 3rd Saturday in September, Cleanup Coordinators and volunteers from states and territories throughout the US (including right here in L.A.) and more than 150 countries around the world mobilize to clean-up thousands of beaches, waterways and underwater habitats as well as inland, park and neighborhood areas.
Thanks to people everywhere, the International Coastal Cleanup has become a beacon of hope, leasing and inspiring action in support of our ocean. Over the years, this movement has created a global community that spans oceans and country borders, uniting more than 13 million volunteers to collect 250 million pounds of trash since it began in 1986. The output from this tremendous volunteer effort is the world’s largest, open-source database on marine debris.
We are pleased to welcome Ocean Conservancy as our featured site partner at Santa Monica State Beach. In this same spot just north of Santa Monica Pier, our volunteers have removed over 900,000 pieces of trash and debris over the past two decades.
For more information about the International Coastal Cleanup and to participate in an event near you this year, please visit suituptocleanup.org.
Major thanks to our Coastal Cleanup Day partners and sponsors:
Additional thanks to our Coastal Cleanup Day organizers in California:
Explore stories and results from past Coastal Cleanup Day events:
🐟 Blog Articles from Heal the Bay’s experience with Coastal Cleanup Day
🐟 Photo Gallery and Wrap-Up Book from Coastal Cleanup Day 2017
🐟 Cleanup Reports from the International Coastal Cleanup 1986-2017